Frequently Asked Questions

Lawsuit Information from an Experienced Dana Point Personal Injury Lawyer

Knowing more about the legal process is useful not only in helping you resolve a lawsuit but also in being prepared for an accident and taking steps to protect your interests should you decide to pursue legal action. At Rosen Law Offices, clients work directly with our Dana Point personal injury attorney and receive in-depth information on where the case stands all throughout the process.

Below you will find answers to questions we commonly receive. This information could help you determine if your situation has grounds for legal action.

You can also call (949) 536-9002 and schedule a free consultation to discuss the details of your case.

How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

This depends on the statute of limitations and the circumstances of the case. In California, most personal injury cases have a two-year statute of limitations from the date of the injury if it involved bodily harm. The limit is extended to three years if only property was damaged.

There are exceptions to this rule. For example, if your claim is against a government entity you only have 6 months to officially file.

What can an attorney do for me after an injury?

After being accepted as a client, your attorney should begin gathering evidence to support your claim and act as your representative to the opposing party. In many instances, your opponent will be an insurance company that faces claims like yours every day and knows how to trick victims into weakening their case. Your attorney should know their usual tricks, and you will not be forced to ever speak with an insurance company if you do not want to.

Your counsel should also schedule regular meetings with you and collect any medical notes from your doctor. They will then start estimating the damages resulting from your accident, including what expenses may come in the future, so as to work towards a suitable settlement or verdict on your behalf.

What should I do after sustaining an injury or witnessing an accident?

If there is an immediate need, call an ambulance before anything else, and then notify the police. While waiting for them to arrive, take pictures of the scene and collect phone numbers from any witnesses. If anyone caught the incident in film or videos, ask them to send you the files and exchange information with them.

After you have received medical attention and had the police put the incident down on record, call an attorney. The sooner a legal professional is handling your case and gathering evidence, the better your chances are of a maximum recovery.

I was hit by an uninsured motorist, who will pay for my damages?

Most people have uninsured motorist accident coverage on their own insurance policy without even realizing it. You will need to consult with an attorney in order to obtain the full amount owed to you after an accident. Visit our uninsured motorist accident practice page for more information.

I need money to cover my medical bills after an accident. How long does a lawsuit usually take?

The length of a lawsuit varies depending on numerous factors. Many firms usually take a year or more to finish cases. At Rosen Law Offices, our attorney works directly with clients rather than using a case manager. This allows us to work faster and usually wrap up cases within 4 to 6 months.

If you are having trouble handling the medical bills, ask your attorney for help. In many cases, doctors will postpone billing when they know a patient is embroiled in a legal battle to pay the expenses.

Where do you Practice?

Our services extend to the Dana Point and Orange County area in California. We also represent clients in Las Vegas.

If you have more questions or would like to pursue a lawsuit, call (949) 536-9002 today for a free consultation.